Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Incoming students

Breadcrumb Breadcrumb

Web Content Display Web Content Display

General Information

In order to study at our university within the framework of the Erasmus+ KA171 Programme, there has to be a current interinstitutional agreement in place between your home university and the Jagiellonian University. We advise you to contact your home exchange coordinator to check if there is any agreement in place and if it covers student mobility as well.

First of all, you need to be nominated by your home university to take part in the Programme.

As soon as your nomination will be sent, you will receive further information how to apply.

In order to apply, you should create an account and submit an online application on the following website:

A successful application contains the following documents:

  • Language certificate (see Language requirements below)
  • Signed and stamped application form (you can download it from your account)

Results of the application procedure will be available online in July (in case you apply for winter semester or for the whole academic year) and in January (in case you apply for the summer semester).

If you would like to receive an official acceptance letter (for example for visa procedures), then you should request it via e-mail ( You can request an acceptance letter only after your application has been accepted.

A step by step instruction on how to submit the application is available here.

Applications have to be submitted within the following deadlines:

31 May – if you are planning to study in the winter semester

30 November – if you are planning to study in the summer semester


EU citizens can enter the territory of Poland on a basis of a valid travel document (passport/ national ID).

Non-EU citizens have to apply for a visa in order to enter the territory of Poland. Erasmus+ KA171 students should apply for a national (D-type) visa.

In order to obtain more information concerning visa requirements, you should contact the nearest Polish consular post (embassy or consular office) in your country of residence.


Jagiellonian University does not provide incoming exchange students with any insurance.

All beneficiaries of the Erasmus+ KA171 Programme are obliged to purchase relevant health insurance before their arrival to Poland. Insurance should be valid in the whole Schengen Area during the duration of the mobility.

You can find more information about insurance on the website of the Polish embassy in your country of residence. Purchasing adequate health insurance is usually required to apply for a visa.

Before the start of the mobility, all nominated Erasmus+ KA171 students should sent a copy of their health insurance to to the general mailbox of the International Students Office (

Learning Agreement for Studies should be approved by all three parties (the student/ PhD candidate, home coordinator, coordinator at the Jagiellonian University) before the start of the mobility.

In order to arrange your LA, you should choose subjects from the list of courses available on our website in the ‘course offer’ tab. If you would like to choose courses offered by different faculties/institutes, then you should contact the coordinator of that faculty/institute and ask for permission.

We advise students to carefully check each subject in USOSweb ( In case of any doubts concerning the number of credits or level of course, students should contact directly faculty/institute coordinators. In general, students should obtain ca. 30 ECTS/semester.

PhD candidates may:

1. collect ca. 30 ECTS / semester by attending courses (in exceptional cases, PhD candidates may obtain less credits)

2. work on their doctoral thesis under the supervision of a tutor (it is the responsibility of the PhD candidate to find a suitable tutor)

Before the start of your mobility, you have to submit a copy of your LA (‘Before the mobility’ part) to the ISO: Submitting a signed and stamped (by all three parties) LAs (‘Before the mobility’ part) is obligatory in order to obtain the first part of the scholarship at the beginning of your mobility. Students should bring an original copy of LAs to Poland.

Upon your arrival in Kraków, you may introduce changes to your LA. Changes should be made within the first five weeks of the exchange. Students should discuss their planned changes with their home coordinator and with the coordinator at our university.

In order to arrange your LA, you should contact the coordinator of the institute/faculty to which you have been accepted. The list of coordinators is available here.

If you are unsure who is your coordinator, then please contact the International Students Office.

In general, we require incoming students to have a command of English of at least B1. Students, who would like to attend classes in Polish, should have a command of Polish of at least B2. If you do not have an official language certificate, then you can submit a Language Proficiency Form. This form should be signed by your home exchange coordinator or language teacher.

Native English speakers do not need to provide any proof of their language skills.

Some units have specific language requirements which are detailed below:

Institute of English Studies

If you would like to attend courses offered by the Institute of English studies, then you should prove that you have a proficiency of English of at least C1 level (equivalent of Cambridge Advanced Examination in English(CAE)).

Institute of Germanic Studies

In order to study at the Institute of Germanic Studies, you should have a proficiency in German at level C1 (equivalent of Deutsches Sprachdiplom II (DSD II)).

The Faculty of Medicine Medicine

students are required to have a command of English of at least B2.

At the beginning of your mobility, you should register at the International Students Office. Upon registration, you should present your passport and a copy of your health insurance. You should register as soon as you have arrived in Kraków.

The Jagiellonian University administers and manages the payment of scholarships for all incoming and outgoing students. Financial support is provided in accordance with the principles set forth in the grant agreement.

Upon arrival, all incoming students have to sign an individual grant agreement. This document has to be signed on the first day of the mobility, but no sooner than on the first day of Orientation Week. The agreement is signed in two copies, one is provided to the participant.

After you have signed the grant agreement, you should submit a bank details form (download here) to the International Students Office and a copy of your Learning Agreement (‘Before the mobility’ part). Bank account has to be in euro.

The Erasmus+ grant is divided into three parts: 50%, 30% and 20%. The total sum includes also travel allowance.

The first part of the scholarship is transferred at the beginning of the mobility, on condition that all the required documents (health insurance, LA, bank details form) have been submitted by the student and that grant agreement has been signed by all parties.

Students should have sufficient means to cover the first two weeks of their mobility. Due to internal procedures, the scholarship is not paid automatically after the above mentioned conditions have been met.

The second part of the scholarship is transferred in the middle of the mobility, the exact date is determined in the grant agreement.

The third part of the scholarship is transferred after the end of mobility. In order to obtain the final part of the scholarship, the participant has to submit a final version of Learning Agreement (all parts have to be signed by all three parties) and fill in a survey (sent by the European Commission to the e-mail address of the participant).

If these conditions are met after the participant has returned to their home country, then the final part of the scholarship can be transferred to a student’s national bank account number. However, the participant has to submit the bank details form once again.

At the end of the mobility, students should visit the International Students Office in order to check-out from the university and to collect their transcript of records. If all the grades are not available before departure, then the transcript can be sent via e-mail or by post.

Our academic calendar is available here.

Click here in order to download our current fact sheet.